Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Needle felted dinosaur


Needle felted dino, originally uploaded by alicen.

I made this ages ago to experiment with needle felting. I'm mostly interested in the technique as a way to add design and texture to wool garments (because seriously how many little decorative objects can anyone actually own?), but this guy was fun to make. The repeated stabbing motions are quite cathartic. I did break a disturbing number of needles, but that's probably just amateur technique.

This post brought to you by my desire to actually have pictures of things I made on this blog...

1 comment:

LauraJ said...

The breakage is reduced by stabbing straight up and down, rather than at angle. I have a source for fairly cheap needles (I do a needlefelting workshop at the Smith science fiction convention every spring), would you like the handout?

Myself, I was just glad when I started stabbing my hand less.

Right now I am doing a lot of beads and wanting to embroider Day of the Dead skulls. XOXO, Laura